I love to turn frugality into a game. We have to, our 2 oldest are in college and we committed to paying for their state tuition so that they don’t have to start their lives in debt. We are proud of this gift we can give them, it does come with sacrifices on our part. I look for ways to be frugal every day. Here is a list of 5 things I did this week to save a few pennies here and there.
- We have 2 cars. One car has a 10 gallon tank and gets amazing mileage. That is the car we use for errands, travel and my husband’s commute downtown. The other car gets adequate mileage, I use that for my commute 2.5 miles away from home. We have timed gas fill ups for my car to once a month on the last day. I use points from our grocery store to lower the cost of gas to 40 cents less per gallon. This week was fill up day for the month of April. Total saved $6.40
- As I do every week, I used the library. It helps that I work there, but even if I didn’t I would be using it. I checked out 4 recent movies, for free. According to my daughter, the free viewing of Aquaman was worth $0. She said it was terrible. Total saved $30. This is a guesstimate of how much it would have cost had we gone to the movie theatre instead.
- Last summer my husband had an accident and had to have some dental work done. What insurance did not cover (which in the United States isn’t much) I put on a Care Credit account. We got 6 months to pay without interest. The due date was April 5. I paid that off on April 1. Total saved $150.00.
- I have been shopping the pantry and freezer this week. Our freezer is in desperate need of defrosting, but first it needs to be emptied, so I am getting creative. Not sure how much I saved on groceries this week.
- My husband brewed a batch of beer last weekend. He recycled the grains that he used in the beer for homemade bread. Delicious bread. Again, not sure on the savings.