It was a great week for saving money. Below is a list of things we did this week to maintain our frugal lifestyle.
- Our youngest is a high school senior, which of course means senior pictures. My husband has a nice camera and takes really nice pictures. Since she honestly didn’t care who took her pictures, he did it. Looks just as good as a professional photographer, in my opinion.
- I went to church. Let me explain. I go to a Unitarian church, our sermons aren’t typical sermons that you would hear in a traditional Christian church. Instead, I refer to our sermons as being like TED Talks. This week’s sermon was on being a people of belonging(s). While I already try very hard not to put too much attachment into most of my belongings, it was good to hear it again. There was emphasis on the idea of reduce, reuse, recycle. I need to remind myself when I am a consumer to ask myself what is the environmental impact of my purchase? Who is making the product? Where is it being manufactured? These questions along with the reduce, reuse, recycle mantra had me invigorated to be a better consumer.
- I made homemade shower bombs for cold and flu season. I wish I could take credit for the recipe, but I can’t. I found it on the Doterra facebook page. But it was really easy to make. It calls for 25 drops breath essential oil, 1 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup water. Mix until sandy, put into ice cube trays to dry overnight.
- I made homemade sour cream. Again this is another super easy thing to make and it saves a plastic container from being purchased. 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 3 tbsp vinegar. Pour into a mason jar, shake and leave on the countertop for 24 hours to thicken. Put in refrigerator, it lasts about 2 weeks.
- I went to our local apple orchard to buy apples and pears directly from the source. I actually drive by the orchard on my way to the grocery store that I go to. They have the best honeycrisp apples out there. I also get an apple cider donut to reward myself for absolutely no reason.
What did you do to save money this week?