Frugal Friday is back. My life seems to be returning to some kind of normal. My job requires I work every third weekend. Sadly, I have not been able to work my weekend since August 4th. But, it looks like I will be returning to my normal rotation tomorrow. I have been home for nearly 3 weeks now without needing to leave for family reasons. The relief that healing seems to have started is overwhelming.
This week was a return to saving some cash around here. Here is our Frugal Friday roundup.
- Tonight Eric and I are going out for a much needed date night. I finally cashed in my OpenTable rewards and received a $20 voucher. Side note though, it took me 12 years to earn enough points for $20, so it felt like a never ending effort.
- We have set our thermostat at 60 degrees from 10pm to 5am. I know, it seems cold and it is. But, we are going to give it a try and see if we can handle that over the winter.
- My daughter bought a new phone last week, the same one we bought our son for his upcoming birthday. It isn’t an Iphone (gasp) and cost $140. I am not tech savvy, but my understanding is that the phone is just fine, even without the Apple logo.
- I bought a countertop convection oven/toaster oven. The initial investment might not be considered frugal, but after reading about ways we can save energy, this recommendation came up frequently. I no longer need to make bake huge meals for a family of 5, as so often it is just 2 of us. This oven takes less time for preheating, cooking and takes less energy. Honestly, I love it.
- I got my flu shot, the rest of the family will be getting one as well. Flu shots are usually free and in my opinion worth it. I didn’t get the shot for myself, but for my loved ones who are not in a position to catch the flu and fight it without complications.
What have you done this week to save some cash?
A perfect vegetable pot pie in my new countertop oven.