Good morning from sunny Wisconsin. It has been an absolutely gorgeous week. Summer is finally here. Our gardens are bursting already, the bees have been very busy and the chickens are doing what they do best, wander around aimlessly.
We continue to stay close to home. I know that the Trumpster has declared that if we would just stop testing, the virus would disappear (honestly, you can’t make this stuff up). But, that doesn’t seem like rational science to us, so we are going to continue to hunker down. I have resumed running errands, always with a mask and social distancing. I also go to work, but the library director has made sure that we operate safely at all times. I feel safe at work.
We had some frugal wins this week. Here is our list. What did you do to save some cash?
- I bought a flat of strawberries and made some jam and froze the rest for future use.
- We have been eating a lot from the backyard already. Lots of salads, pestos and eggs. Our CSA has already started to deliver and I have been very good about making sure that we eat everything from the box. I haven’t thrown anything away yet. I did give the kohlrabi to the neighbor. Because kohlrabi is gross.
- I have been making sun tea with my backyard peppermint. It takes a lot of mint to make a tasty tea, but it’s worth it.
- We have started having Sunday dinners with my son, his girlfriend and my daughter’s boyfriend again. Sunday afternoons spent on the patio with a cool cocktail and an early dinner. We have a lot of laughs and it’s free. Last weekend we played some card games as well.
- It has been warm, but we have avoided turning on the air conditioner by keeping the drapes closed in our bedrooms and running the fans. We are not opposed to turning the air on if needed. But, because it has been getting cool at night, we haven’t seen the need. Yet.
It was a really good week around here. After months of feeling blah because of the world situation and feeling a little claustrophobic, things turned around. I don’t know exactly what tipped things in the right direction. But, here we are. Happy Friday friends.