I have been enjoying all the summer has to offer, from the comfort of my backyard. We continue to hunker down, for the most part. I do go to work and my girls work as well. But beyond that, we spend most of our time in our own little cocoon at home. Waiting for this storm to pass. We have had some frugal wins over the last several weeks,
- I wrote my very last check to our daughter’s singing teacher. She will really miss her, but she is ready to move on and college is going to provide her that opportunity.
- Our last energy bill was $100 less than last month. That will even out the fact that next month’s will likely be $100 more. We gave in and turned on the air conditioning. It has been warm!
- My daughter needed dental work and our dentist was not open due to covid. Our dental plan requires us to use one of those franchise dentists. I called our old dentist and got her in and then call the insurance company and got an authorization to use that dentist because ours was not open. What would have been a $400 bill cost us $25 because I picked up the phone and asked.
- I gave in and got an Amazon credit card. We earn 5% and I was able to get a kindle for my daughter’s birthday for $50 with the credit it gave me. The trick obviously, pay it off every month. Which we will do.
- My husband replaced the brake pads on our daughter’s car for $110. She paid him for the parts and he supplied the labor. Doing things yourself, when you can, saves so much money.
Our daughter goes to college next month. We are going to miss her so much. She won’t be able to come home until Thanksgiving, in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID. It is going to be a really hard 3 months, but we will adjust. Letting our kids go can be so hard. I plan on really enjoying the next month with her at home.